Rice pudding or arroz con leche. Ah! sometimes you just want to try a homemade meal, but don’t want to spend too much time on it, either preparing it or getting those ingredients you just wouldn’t use anymore.
So, save this Arroz con Leche recipe for whenever you feel like having a quick, easy, and delicious dessert made with things you already have in your pantry.
What is Arroz con Leche?
Rice pudding is one of those traditional recipes that evoke childhood memories at your Abuelita’s house. It is comforting, enjoyable, and not only a dessert but a quick, fulfilling meal.
It’s the type of recipe you go to when you are just lazy and want something to eat without any complications. It is also known for its creaminess and simplicity.
Variations of Rice Pudding around the World
The main ingredients for this delicious recipe are rice, milk, and sugar. But depending on the region it’s prepared in, there are many other things that can be added.
Arroz con Leche is a dish that has a broad cultural background, it has trespassed throughout the years into different cultures and cuisines. Starting in Asia, then Spaniards got it from Arabs, and it was finally taken into Hispanic culture, where it quickly became a commonly cooked dish.
In Spain they prepare it with lime or orange peel, to give a special rice flavor and aroma. In Mexico, a liquor flambé is commonly employed. In some parts of Europe, they use fruits and nuts. In other regions in Latin America, some people use butter, vanilla extract, or raisins.
How to Eat this Delicious Dessert
The best thing about rice pudding is its versatility. It can be eaten:
- Cold, as a refreshing snack
- Warm, on those winter afternoons
- As a dessert, after lunch or dinner
- For a breakfast that will provide enough energy for the day
- Or a quick dinner right before bed
You can eat however you like, and whenever you crave it. Bad timing doesn’t exist with this dish. So, if you would like to read and learn about other ways of eating Arroz con Leche simply click on the following link: mahatmarice.com/recipes/arroz-con-leche/.
Tips to Level up Your Rice Pudding
There are some tricks you can put to use if it’s your first time preparing this recipe, or if you have tried it before but want to level up your rice pudding game.
- Wash Your Rice: This way you will remove the starch and the rice won’t stick together, thus giving you that perfect consistency.
- Leave the rice, milk, and ingredients like lime peel and cinnamon in a pot for approximately 30 minutes before cooking; this way the rice will absorb even more of their aroma and flavor.
- Mix Water and Milk: The milk is too thick for rice to absorb, so it takes longer to cook when you are only using it; if you try mixing both these liquids, the rice will cook faster.
Here’s the recipe that will make your guests ask for more rice pud!
- 1 ½ cups of white, long-grained rice
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 cup of water
- ¾ cup of sugar
- Cinnamon, stick, and powder
- Lime peel
- Condensed milk
- Vanilla extract
- Put rice and water in a pot at medium heat. Stir constantly.
- When the water starts to boil, add the milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon stick, and lime peel.
- When the milk comes to a boiling point, lower the heat.
- Check the consistency of the rice, when it is al dente, add sugar and stir.
- When the liquid has been absorbed partially (not completely), leave the mixture for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let it sit for a while, so the rice can finish absorbing the milk on its own.
- Done! It’s creamy and ready to serve.
You’d usually garnish this dish with powdered cinnamon or any fresh or dry fruit you like for that perfect homely touch!
Do you enjoy arroz con leche or rice pudding? Love its simplicity and versatility? What are your favourite toppings? Let us know in the comments below!