Having to workout at home can be challenging, not only are you surrounded by distractions, but you also might not have the space or the equipment. A towel is a great workout tool that helps to stabilize your body whilst making the exercise a bit more challenging. Here are a few exercises that will help you develop your physique that you can do absolutely anywhere! Follow on for Towel Workout: 5 Great, Effective Exercises You’ve Got to Try! (Image credit: Adidas/The Fit Fork)
1. Posture Improvement
An exercise method first suggested by Dr Toshiki Fukutsudzi, a Japanese doctor who claims that using a rolled towel in a certain way can fix postural problems and strengthen the abdomen. To perform this exercise:
- Roll a Towel to be 15” in length and 3-4” thick.
- Lie on a yoga mat and place the rolled towel under your waist.
- Spread your legs, with your feet 8-10” apart
- Extend your hands behind your head, palms down.
- Try to bring your toes together, and your pinkies together.
- Maintain this position for 5 minutes.
It is normal to feel a bit of burning when stretching.
2. Abs: Russian Twist
Take your Russian twist up a notch and add more resistance with a towel:
- Sit down on a mat
- Tuck your knees in, and elevate from the floor
- Hold a towel horizontally with both hands
- Keeping your towel pulled, twist your body to the right side until your right hand touches the left knee.
- Keep twisting from right to left
3. Glutes: Lunges
An excellent exercise to target your glutes are lunges. Adding a towel stabilizes the body making the exercise more challenging:
- Stand up straight
- Place a towel underneath one foot
- Drag the foot with the towel into a lunge
- Drag it back into a straight pose, repeat!
4. Legs: Plie Squat
To perform a plie squat with a twist:
- Stand straight with your legs wider than your shoulders and your toes pointing outward
- Hold your towel at both ends
- Keeping your arms extended, pulse up and down challenging your legs, thighs and calves.
5. Arms: Push/Pull
To develop your arms, shoulders and chest:
- Hold the towel horizontally taut
- Straighten your arms in front of you
- Pull the towel back to your chest
- Then, push back
- Repeat 10 times
These towel workout exercises will help you add a creative twist to your workout routine whether you’re at home, in an office, or a hotel room. So, what are you waiting for? Grab a towel and say hi to your new workout partner! Don’t you just love low-to-no equipment training? Tried towels yet? Which moves really work well for you? Let us know in the comments below, and join in the conversation on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram!