There’s always a food or supplement that has a weird sounding name but looks so exotic that it becomes the next new health craze! Whether it’s imported from another country or just becomes more recognised for its amazing health benefits, new items pop up on our shelves on a regular basis and seem to take the UK by storm. One of these items is baobab, so let’s look at Why is Baobab the New Health Craze?
Foods like quinoa, coconut oil and agave nectar have changed the way we eat and cook. That’s all well and good but when something like ‘baobab’ shoots to fame, a lot of people are put off by a name they can’t pronounce (even took me a while to figure out!) Anyway, here’s the lowdown on this unique food!
- Baobab is a fruit that originates from Africa and is the only fruit in the world that dries on the branch. This means after six months when it’s harvested, it’s ready to be de-seeded and sieved into a natural fruit pulp powder.
- It contains high amounts of Vitamin C, fibre and antioxidants. A single dose of baobab (two teaspoons of the powder) provides 33% of your daily Vitamin C requirement and over 50% of your fibre requirement.
- According to Aduna who supply baobab products to shops around the country, baobab even has the most antioxidants of any fruit! That’s amazing considering that antioxidants help to fight the free radicals in the body which produce illness and disease.
- It is sweet with a citrusy flavour which makes it great to add to smoothies, sprinkle on cereals and even bake into sweet treats!
- Some products from the Aduna Baobab range won the Great Taste Awards 2015 and the range contains a variety of powders and raw energy bars.
- If you want to not only improve your general health but want glowing skin, hair and nails as well as a better metabolism (who doesn’t) then baobab claims to be your saviour.
Added to an already balanced and healthy diet it looks like baobab could be more than just a craze, it could be one of the best things we eat for our bodies in the long term. It seems too good to be true but going by the recommendations from magazines like Vogue, it’s definitely not!
This is going to be a great way to get more nutrients into your body if you’re a bit bored with your current diet, or just feel run down and need a boost.
There’s currently a campaign happening called #MakeBaobabFamous because it seems people are still wary of new foods. Unfortunately most of the baobab fruit gets wasted because there isn’t enough demand for it, so Aduna are using this campaign to hopefully launch demand and make use of this amazing fruit.
It’s a shame to let it go to waste! So c’mon let’s make it famous together. If you try it please share your baobab recipes here, we’d love to see what you come up with as well as the health benefits you notice!